5 THINGS TO DO AFTER YOU GRADUATE COLLAGE


(Imagine is my own, created using google images)

FINALLY!

You graduated, now what?

Yes, your collage degree sure looks good on that shelf! Your Family and you are proud of yourself and all that hard work FINALLY paid off! Now what?

Luckily, I didn't have to ask myself that question after 3 of my collage graduations. To better understand it, I will share my mini story and then give you 5 things I recommend to a recent college grad. 

- Since I can remember I was a hustler (Legal Hustler). I worked to save money and I knew a safe things for me to do is to finish my goal degree. This is to assure that once I moved out my parents’ house I moved out with a solid Master’s Degree.  I knew it will always be something I can fall back on at any time. No matter what job I get temporary, low salary or mid salary I would have a JOB. My degree was my security it was my EVERYTHING! I never wanted to have to move back to my parents’ house because something could go wrong or unplanned things happened and I was not able to afford paying my bills. BOY DID THINGS GO UNPLANNED, that's for another post. 

I took the more difficult route in my education life area, I went from one degree to the next year after year.

BREAK DOWN:
Associated degree: 3 years (I did two degrees in 3 years)
Bachelors 2 full years
Masters 1 full year.

Was it right? Was is wrong? I don't know. I feel it was right decision for me, because I am able to have a solid career and hold on to two jobs aside from YouTube&Blogging. I am able to pay my bills on MY OWN without having to ask for help from anyone nor my family. That made me proud, however there was major downside to pushing myself so hard. My anxiety became out of control and I gained significant amount of weight 30+ pounds. 

I was done with my education and was ready to transition to Adult Living. I moved out with at that time my BF and became impulsive buyer to decorate my home. I kept gaining weight, the stuff I was buying was supposed to help me feel better about myself and my life, but it did not at all. It made me feel worst. I was at a very low point in my life thinking why I am not happy I have everything I need. I was thinking that while I was consumed with things around which supposed to have made me happy, yet I was lost. I barely had time to cook, I had no time for myself to actually sit down and re-evaluate my life. 

Until unexpected happened. They say unexpected things help you more than break you. 

I was alone! I was sitting in my cluttered apartment with things that I bought since moving out and I was depressed. I didn't want anything or anyone. I then realized that I didn't know what I wanted I wanted to feel good and be happy and I didn't know how to go about it.

One things for sure my bills were paid because I had a job to rely on because of my degree. I made sure my bills all together were below my biweekly pay. I made sure I didn't rely on anyone to help me no matter how much they loved and cared for me. 

I am saying this to say...Make sure before you make any BIG decision about continuing college further or not, moving out before collage, during or after, make sure you are financially stable to take care of you if things go unplanned. 

Here is goes my....

5 THINGS TO DO AFTER YOU GRADUATE COLLAGE:

1. Work Work Work - If you did not work during collage then find a job ASAP. Even if it’s part time. If you living home you should still motivate yourself to get up and go toward working daily or if you are entrepreneur start your business and put in that hard work
2. Take a breather- NO, not a month or two. A week or two is enough. Because if you keep putting off and off it will be more difficult for your to go back to work or continue your education.
3. If you don't have your masters and it’s something you want don't take a semester off. It will be so hard for you to get back to schooling.
4. Live with parents - I know, what you thinking you feel little freedom and financial stability and you are eager to move out. If family circumstances are not that bad and you can manage living and go to school then remain HOME. Don't move out just because you have AS or BA degree or even Master’s Degree. Make sure you have somewhat stable job which pays you enough to cover your bills including rent in two weeks so either two weeks you can save. 
5. SAVE SAVE SAVE- Save while you in school as much as you can, every dollar counts. Make sure to work on your credit and monitor it. 

  




  

Popular Posts